A little note for those new to my blog:

I have wanted to move to Australia for years and have just recently made the leap across the big pond!
This blog chronicles my adventures and discoveries.
Please take the time to look through my archives and start my journey from the beginning!

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Cockatoo shenanagins and crocodile joy!

           In a previous post I showed a croc hatching but I wanted to show you today, the very last of our estuarine crocs hatching. This bunch is from Modonna, Jaws' female.

Rick feeds Riley on the left. I got to feed him for the first time this week! Pictures will be posted when someone takes one of me doing it.

 
 I other news, I found myself up a tree last Friday as Ash, our red-tailed black cockatoo took a long flight across the billabong and into a melaleuca tree. I ate my lunch in the tree and with the help of Ryan, put up two large perches in the tree to help him climb down!


Me up a tree!
                                        
  
We had waited a long time but he looked quite comfortable up there so plan B was to row across the billabong and squirt him down with a hose. 


                                  The front of the park from the billabong, beautiful place!


         The good news is that once we reached him by boat, he was in such a good position that I could again climb the tree and wrap him up in a t-shirt and pass him to Ryan at the base of the tree. Ash was flustered but otherwise o.k. We clipped his wings the next day. Every birds moults at different times and paces so it's hard to know when it's clipping time and that is why I have put in a strict monthly check and clip for all of our perch birds. :)

2 comments:

  1. You go, Mamma Bird! :)

    I think it is always better safe than sorry to have a monthly check and clip. Really great idea on your part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No joke! Neuro flew straight off of my shoulder into the forest today. I taught him to whistle a certain whistle to find me and we found each other!!! Rosa helped too but tonight, two primaries and three secondaries are getting trimmed. :)

    ReplyDelete